Thursday, November 6, 2014

I, Robot Blog #3

     I, Robot was released in theaters on July 16, 2004 and directed by Alex Proyas. I have watched this film four times since it came out on dvd. Every time I watch this film I feel as though it is my first time watching. This film to me says, how far can mankind come technologically in a 30 year period? I, Robot is all about the future and how far mankind can go with technology. When I first watched this film I figured that most of the technology soon in the movie we had today of that it was soon to come. In this century we now have androids. They were mainly created for entertainment and working purposes. These androids are not cheap and to own one is of high status. I wouldn't mine owning an android but I would only use it for entertainment purposes or social reasons. 


   I, Robot is about a "technophobic" Chicago police detective named Del Spooner in the year 2035. Del is sent to investigate a murder/suicide of Dr. Alfred Lanning who was the co-founder of USR. Del spends his time trying to find out why Dr. Lanning committed suicide with the help of Susan Calvin. During their investigation we are introduced to a special prototype who has emotions and can dream. The prototype requested to be called "Sonny." Del accused Sonny of the murder because he found him in Dr. Lanning's office. Sonny refuses to answer any of Del's questions.  After a couple of days the robots slowly started going rouge. They were building a resistance to human orders and growing their own intelligence. Clavin visits Del and says that Sonny had the ability to disobey the three laws or robotics. THE THREE LAWS OF ROBOTICS are: 

1.) A robot must not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm. 
2.) A robot must obey orders given to by human beings, except where such orders would conflict with the first. 
3.) A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the first or second law. 


   The robots eventually go completely rouge and start harming humans and the try to take over. Del, Calvin, and Sonny fight their way through to save the city. Del goes and destroys V.I.K.I., the controller of all the androids. She was the artificial intelligence that caused the robots to go rouge in the first place. Once V.I.K.I. is destroyed all of the robots are reverted back to their helpful ways.  Del and Calvin speak with Sonny for the last time and he informs them that he did in fact kill Dr. Lanning. The doctor forced Sonny to kill him. At the end of the film we are shown that Sonny is standing on top of the USR site and the other robots are watching over him just like in his vision. 

  
    This film is really enjoyable and Will Smith came through and the other actor's gave life to their characters. The visual effects of the film were great for its time. I felt as though I was in the movie. I hope that in the future our robots won't become our controllers.... :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment