Thursday, September 18, 2014

Generations Technology & me


                             Generations Technology & Me


                     As I assessed myself over the pass week I realized how nearly impossible it is to go without using technology.
 Technology is everywhere , whether we realize it or not it is one of the most major things that we depend on. Over the week I analyzed my usage of technology. I noticed that I rarely put down my cell phone. My cellphone holds my schedule for classes, dates and times it even reminds me of birthdays. To be technical it is my life. Being a student at Bloomsburg University technology is a prominent thing. We have automatic flushers for the toilet. The faucets and paper towel dispensers are also automatic , the doors even open for us with the press of a button. Being a student here you have to check you email daily for important notices . The heads of organizations and even financial aid faculty notifies you through email. To get in and out of any facility on campus your identification card is needed. It is synced into a scanner which allows you to have access to your dorm room, food services and any other identification process needed. If I may say so in my opinion, having a cell phone, laptop and I.D card is at high importance in my community. I ultimately resisted the use of an iPhone because it became a wild craze "Got to have it" piece of technology. I am content with having a android and not having voice activated programs.
         I constructed two different interview sessions with my mother and my grandmother. Their views of what technology was during their times  were drastically different form my own. My mother Sherry Robinson whom is 39 years of age, was born in 1975. She expressed how amazing "Beepers" were back then. Though they were very expensive at first they meant everything . She explained that they were even fashionable. She did not hesitate the use of one at all. Any one that had  a beeper had to have money. When the prices decrease to about 40$ everyone had it, it became an easier way to communicate. Instead of texting ,you sent codes which meant actual words.  For Example : to tell someone hello the number 4 was viewed as a "H" , 3 is "E" 77 are  "L's" and of course a 0 was an "O". Using numbers for a coding system to communicate to one another .
Then there was Cellphone that were bigger then life itself . Those things were huge . Portable phones were so convenient and inconvenient at the same time my mother explained. it was useful because they were able to call others without staying in and waiting for a call . But it was also inconvenient because it was heavy and way to large to even carry around.
       My grandmother technology in my opinion was not really technology. In stead of washer and dryers she used a scrub board and hung the clothes on a line to dry. I was enlightened to know for a fact how easier it is today. I only could imaging how dingy their clothes had to be. Washing your clothes in a tin bucket with a pan that had crinkles in it is a wild thought to behold. Everything was basically done by hand. Hanging clothes on the cloth line is not that out of date to my family because at times we still continue to do that.
Our technology today is far more advance then any other previous inventions. We can communicate with each other with cell phone that enables us to call someone from another country , we can email and text. Also some cellphones have video chat or "Face Time" where you can actually see each other without having to be on a laptop to do so. Now we have washers and dryers we even have steamers so that ironing clothes are not necessary. Everything that was done by hand can now be done without one at all.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment