Thursday, September 18, 2014

Generations, Technology, & Me

      
     Over the past week I have been thinking about all the different technologies I come into contact with every single day. Some of the very prominent ones are in work and school. I'm a shift leader at a Dunkin' Donuts, and recently we have changed our menu boards inside from the standard plastic and cardboard to four flat screen monitors. One of the screens specifically shows all the new products by overdramatically placing piece of sausage on an english muffin and following that up with a nice
Iced Coffee and Iced Latte
refreshing hazelnut or french vanilla swirl iced coffee with all the condensation just running down the side, in an effort to sell more of certain products. Also the terminals we have for typing in orders are all touch screen and have all the prices stored with tax automatically added on. It is no longer necessary to try and perform math on your own, use a calculator, or write down the orders. We have a drive-thru where as soon as a car pulls up a sensor sets off a noise in our wireless headsets to alert us of the cars presence, while at the same time starting a timer to keep track of how long it takes for each cars order to be served. In the dorms at school we have multiple showers and sinks all with hot or cold water in a matter of seconds. When returning back to the dorm there is a scanner that reads a little micro-chip in our student ID's that grants us access to the lobby and then a set of two scanners to either use the elevators or enter the first floor hallway. In the classroom we can use a blog as a group discussion where every student is able to express their thoughts at the same time, rather than having to wait your turn to speak. With BOLT, professors can issue homework assignments, quizzes, and tests online for students to complete and submit, without ever having to print out a single page.
     Having been born in 1993, I started out in the very beginning of this new age of technology. Having sat down to just ponder how many different technologies I rely on every single day, my mind is pretty well blown. So many things I just take for granted and never stop to appreciate or think about why I'm able to perform certain tasks with barely any time involved. Even now as I type there are so many technologies helping me to accomplish this task. I have artificial lighting so that I can continue to work at night without some kind of fire, there is an air conditioning unit regulating the temperature in the room to keep it a chill sixty-eight degrees, I had a refrigerator to make my iced tea cold for drinking it, and I'm playing music on my computer while also typing on a webpage which both use the WIFI. There are others that I could list but that's not the point. The fact that I was able to list those with minimal thought shows how dependent my generation is on all of the technologies that have been available to us our entire life. Yes the use of electricity for light bulbs has been around for many years now, but certainly not the WIFI.
1950's Washer
     When growing up I really enjoyed going outside to play but when the weather didn't allow me to I would just sit inside and either watch a VHS movie or play a video game. As I became older I would want to stay inside more and more playing PlayStation not really caring what kind of adventures my friends were going on with their bikes. The older I got, the less thinking or research in books I would have to do for school assignments. For me I have seen, for me, huge technological jumps, but are not nearly as amazing to me as they are for say my grandmother and father. When my gram was a child they only had black and white TV's with three stations of viewing. All the telephones were wired land lines so you were limited to the area of which you could be when talking on the phone. She also had washer unit for clothes that required her and her family to change out the water themselves and only dried clothing by hanging them on a clothesline or inside if it was too cold or rainy outside. My father had colored television and remembers having the Atari system to play with on the TV. While this was a new and exciting toy, he and his friends still enjoyed being outside far more.
     The biggest technological advance that I can think of is the smart phone and basically having a computer at your fingertips constantly. For my gram it was colored television and 8tracks, while for my father it was the Atari and the emergence of video games. When asked if either of them started to rely on the new technologies as they became available, both of them said no and that they just waited for the older version to break or stop working before buying the newest version. This is vastly different from myself where growing up I constantly coveted the newest video game system or cell phone and would buy them if I was able to. Both of them feel as though all the technologies they have witnessed have benefited their lives, but they also felt some people rely on the new technologies far too much. The technology with the biggest impact on my life is steel roller coasters and the engineering involved in them, as they allow you to be inverted and experience a far higher G-load
Steel Roller Coaster
than wooden coasters. I would ride a coaster every single day if I could just to experience that adrenaline rush. For my gram the technology with the biggest impact on her is the cell phone and my father the smart phone. Both of them love having the convenience of calling people from almost anywhere they want to and sending text messages. The smart phone capabilities allow my dad to work on the go and look up necessary information for his customers that are purchasing lumber. What is a technology that you find harmful? My answer to that question is virus' in computers that can pull personal information. My father's answer is satellites that can take pictures on command feeling as though that's an invasion of privacy. My gram thinks that some of the television shows and social media sites have hindered the growth of people that want to think for themselves and function in what she sees as a normal way. In the future my gram and I would both like to see advances in the technologies of health science so that they are able to treat cancer in a completely and less harmful way. My father would like to see technologies created for cleaner power sources and the engineering of equipment to replace machines that rely on petroleum, before it runs out.
Digital Brain
     There are so many different kinds of technologies that have impacted this world and they just seem to be growing at a phenomenal rate. I'm very glad that I am able to witness all of these advances in technology. I do however hope that certain advances don't eventually lead to people not doing anything for themselves and relying on computers and other devices to do the thinking for them. Right now it seems life society is teetering on the edge of that future. We have managed to survive on this earth for a large number of years without certain technologies. Although they can be very helpful to us, I just hope that we, as a world population, don't come crashing down as a result of allowing machines to replace what we know as human actions.


No comments:

Post a Comment