Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Technology, Generations, and Me



Technology has been around since the dawn of man. From simple stone-based tools to the high tech computers that we have today, we have progressively advanced our ability to make our lives easier over the short amount of years our species has been on this earth. In today’s society, technology has influenced us in just about every aspect of our lives. From waking up in the morning to sleeping, but with the passing of days, technology will just continue to advance until what we saw as new will be considered old in just a few years.
                Many people find it repulsive how we apply technology, but I personally feel as though they do not understand the main points as to why we use all of these gadgets in the first place. Every animal has evolved at one point in its life. For example: Birds adopted different beaks for their preferred food type. Certain animals adopted scales or tales, Limbs and camouflage. Humans, I feel, do not evolve as rapidly as other organisms on a biological scale, but technologically, we rapidly improve our lives, living standards, and health. 
                To learn more about how technology influences our lives, I had to first take a look at how much of it I actually use. The list I made was massive, as everything I used was technically considered technology. From a simple light bulb, to my cell phone, technology has impacted my life drastically. For example: My cellphone is probably one of the most influential pieces of technology that I use.  (See Fig. 1)  It is my alarm clock, schedule planner, social media, music player, and more importantly my phone. So many more uses, but it is something we take for granted. Probably the second biggest piece of technology I use is my laptop. It is my backup when I don’t have my phone with me, or if I want to write a paper or two. In the book “the Feed”, computers are installed inside people’s brains. Fortunately or unfortunately, (If you think high usage of technology is bad.) This step on our technological evolution hasn’t fully been achieved yet, but maybe one day we will be able to do such a thing.
                Being the top two on my list, I looked at the others that were their too. My TV, lights, PS3, and car were also on their as well, but not as much as my phone and laptop. When looking at my list though, I began to wonder about the past. We are so used to our technology that we fail to see how past generations were influenced from it. To find out for myself, I interviewed 3 different people: My Grandma, my mother, and my father. The results were pretty shocking for people my age. My grandmother was most interested about my project, and told me stories of how they used to always listen to the radio, and how the quality wasn’t as good as todays radios. She also told me how they didn’t have as many plastics, and everything lasted longer since nothing was really disposable. TV wasn’t really a big thing, but as she got older they started to advance, but when they first came out, not a lot of people she knew really watched it. The phone lines also required operators to direct your calls in a lot of places. (See FIG. 2) This astounded me, and made me even more thankful that I had a cell phone! She wasn’t opposed to technology, but it was confusing to her, and I had to even show her how to use a laptop.
                My mother was raised in New York City, and told me how TV was one of the biggest things when she was little. Radios where awesome too, but what really made music better, were cassette players.  Anyone who was anyone had them, and my grandfather got her one. Another cool gadget at the time was arcades. They were a big hotspot for kids, and everyone went during weekends or after school. My dad was raised in the country. A much more different walk of life than my mother, and technology still clung to the days of my grandmother for him since his mother wasn’t really excited for all the new technological advancements. Still, he didn’t


have to say about what technology he really used because he was always taught to play outside, hunt, fish, and live the old 1950s lifestyle of a Protestant Christian boy. He did tell me when he had an old corvette; he had a cassette player in it, which was the most advanced piece of technology he owned. Being in the military though, he told me how he didn’t have the GPS devices that I use today, but they used maps and compasses. He also told me how the vehicles they used didn’t have all the fancy armor plating or designs. It was more simple and cost effective compared to the pricey vehicles we use today.
                When I was done with my 3 interviews, I thought about everything and noticed a pattern. It wasn’t that technology was changing. (As in newer types where coming out.) Yes, new things did come out, but overall, Technology was evolving. The radios for example changed throughout the years to become more efficient, and then it was transferred to a more reliable form such as phones or laptops, and even car stereos.  Humanity found more efficient ways to make these things, and progressively evolved it to suit the generations and to sell their products more than the competition. Humans need technology to progress. It is our form of evolution. Our ability to think was the start of that, and I feel is a piece of technology itself. From being able to think differently than other species, we were able to construct buildings and create fire. We are the next step in evolution, but an even bigger question would be to ask yourself: How far will our technological advancements go?

No comments:

Post a Comment